Monday, July 25, 2011

Kim and the Great Game

Many thanks to Kate and Jana for the scrumptious Indian food on Saturday as Jeff enlightened us about the Great Game and we discussed Rudyard Kipling's Kim!

One story I forgot to share regarding the book. I always find it interesting to find a rich history behind such a simple concept as Kim's game - the memory game he practices to become better at intrigue and spywork. I often played this game as a child and as an adult I've played a variation of it at bridal showers. You tell the bride to leave the room and pass out pens and paper to the guests. You tell the guests we are about to play a memory game and to be very observant, they will have 60 seconds. You then have the bride come in carrying a tray with an assortment of items and walk around the room for one minute and then leave again. Then you tell everyone to write down everything the bride was wearing! Groans and giggles erupt as people realize they were tricked.

John and I will send an email soon about hosting the Count of Monte Cristo at the end of September!

2 comments:

  1. I actually never played that game, though it sounds like the sort of thing Chris would win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So I just realized that you posted a comment at the end of my first blog back in January and I never replied because I just found it! I don't know if you follow my story any more but many updates since then. ;)

    Whats even funnier is that I have just started listening to The Help on audio book (I have a fair commute to work each day and audiobooks are a fantastic way to stay up on my reading!) and I saw that you recommended it back in January!

    Also you are the first "non" friend, or person that I know to have followed me, which I find pretty cool and inspiring. I hope if you still continue to read that it helps pass along the knowledge of IVF and any infertility struggles. As well as my struggles with anxiety.

    And now for my book suggestion. ;) I finished The Hunger Games series last summer and I would literally sit in my car after I pulled into the garage for the evening after work for half an hour to finish a chapter. The books are passionately written. Husband would open the door and ask if I was coming in for dinner with a smile.

    Hope you are doing well, thanks for the comment in January!

    ReplyDelete